Do you feel like you are controlled by your child’s anxiety or OCD?
- Are your days consumed by anxiety or OCD’s demands?
- Are you and your family stuck following anxiety or OCD’s rules?
- Is your family limited to what anxiety or OCD will allow you to do?
Accommodations are things you do to help your child avoid anxiety or OCD.
This can be anything, including:
- Answering reassurance questions over and over again.
- Helping your child avoid anxiety-producing situations.
- Taking on responsibilities so your child is not triggered.
- Completing OCD rules (e.g. washing, cleaning, answering in a certain way).
- Hiding triggering objects, avoiding certain words etc.
Accommodating your child’s anxiety or OCD is not only frustrating, it grows the problem.
- Accommodation grows the neural pathways that grow anxiety and OCD.
- Giving into anxiety and OCD sends a message to your child that you don’t believe they can sit in discomfort.
- Accommodations can prevent ERP (Exposure Response Prevention) and other treatment approaches from working.
These habits took time to develop and so will pulling them back.
- Pulling back your support doesn’t have to overwhelm you or your child.
- Eli Lebowitz from Yale University developed a systematic approach to pulling back accommodations.
- Research has shown that the SPACE Program is just as effective as CBT.
What is the SPACE Program?
SPACE stands for Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions. It was developed by Dr. Eli Lebowitz at the Yale Child Study Center and it’s effectiveness has been shown through randomized controlled clinical research trials.
The Space Program:
- Is a parent-based treatment program aimed at helping your child’s anxiety or OCD.
- Focuses on giving the parents the skills and tools to create a supportive environment.
- Teaches parents how to systematically pull back their accommodations.
This Course is for:
- Parents who are visual learners and want to watch videos to supplement the book.
- Parents who want video explanations for what they learned in the book.
- Parents who prefer to digest their information in a video format.
- Parents who want deeper support into the SPACE approach and cannot find a SPACE therapist.
- Parents who are seeing a SPACE therapist and want to supplement their sessions with this study guide course.
- A parent who wants an easy to digest explanation of SPACE that their partner or other relatives can watch.
"I was almost finished reading the book, "Breaking Free of Child OCD & Anxiety, when I came across Natasha's INCREDIBLE breakdown of Eli Lebowitz' SPACE program for parents. The book seemed repetitive & is difficult to get through without a trained professional.
I can't recommend Natasha's videos & worksheets enough. She broke everything down into bite-sized chunks & explained the process of SPACE so well. This program truly is a MUST and a GAME-CHANGER for parents with children with OCD & anxiety.
I couldn't believe how many accommodations I was providing & how they were growing my child's OCD. I also really had to shift my thinking into concentrating on only my words, actions, and behavior and not my child's.
I highly recommend Natasha's course. This will give you hope & a PLAN."
- Brigette, Parent to a child with anxiety and OCD
"I am so appreciative to have received this SPACE program for free through the AT parenting community. Natasha presented the program clearly and concisely. Each video built into the next in an organized manner. If you have a child of any age, who is resistant to ERP, this is a must see video series. It reaffirmed for me that we have the ability to fight the OCD bully even without direct participation from my daughter. Thank you so much Natasha for creating this video series. You are knowledgeable, empathic, and a light, in what can be a dark world when you care for a loved one with OCD.
- Christine B., AT Parenting Community Member and Mom to child with OCD
"Natasha does it again. I’m a therapist and have taken several of her courses. They are easy to follow for all professionals, parents and kids. I love this class and how the space program is broken up in an easy way for parents to follow. Thank you for taking the time to teach others.
Natasha Daniels has been an anxiety & OCD therapist for over two decades. She has become the go-to global expert for parents raising kids with anxiety and OCD. She combines both her clinical expertise with her lived experience of raising her own three kids with anxiety and OCD.
She is the creator of the popular website AT Parenting Survival, As well as the host to the top rated show AT Parenting Survival Podcast and the Youtube channel, Anxiety & OCD Support. She also gives in-depth support to thousands of parents raising kids with anxiety or OCD in her online membership AT Parenting Community.
She has received advanced training in OCD through the International OCD Foundation’s BTTI programs as well as their consultation groups.
StartWatch Before You Start!
PreviewPart 1: Introduction/Setting the Stage
StartPart 2: Charting Accommodation
StartPart 3: Recruiting and Engaging Supporters
StartPart 4: Choosing a Target Problem
StartPart 5: Formulating a Plan
StartPart 6: Informing the Child
StartPart 7: Implementation
StartPart 8: Additional Targets
StartPart 9: Dealing with Disruptive Behavior
StartPart 10: Improving Collaboration Between Parents
StartImportant words before you go!